The Prakash Padukone Badminton Academy was started on 1st October 1994, in Bangalore and is nourishing many National and International badminton stars who are presently favoring our country.
The academy comprises five badminton courts at the ultra modern K. Raheja Stadium. Apart from this, the academy comprises swimming pool, fully equipped gymnasium, restaurant, squash court.
The academy has several training programs for young players which will help them to compete with other badminton stars of various countries under all age categories.
This academy was started by the Indian badminton legend Prakash Padukone. He was the first Indian badminton star who took India to the podium and made India proud in International arena was Prakash Padukone along with Syed Modi, another versatile badminton star of yesteryear Indian badminton scenario. Prakash Padukone has won many prestigious International and National badminton tournaments and was felt as the backbone of Indian badminton scenario what now India is looking and who provided a strong foundation to prove Indians too can prove at the top most level among other giants in the world of badminton sport. He has bagged most credentials in the sport of badminton for India. He is fit to be called the “Sachin Tendulkar” for badminton in India, one of the most talented badminton legend the country has ever produced during the earlier days.
An added feather to the cap is that the academy also provides high end training and coaching to young players who are selected to the Academy on merit, and to whom training and facilities are provided on a scholarship basis.
Some of the other achievements of the academy are as follows,
1) 1995 – PPBA hosts first ever All-India Badminton Tournament in the Country.
2) 1998 – PPBA’s Aparna Popat, Gopichand & Nikhil Kanetkar head the Indian challenge at the Commonwealth Games.
3) 1999 – PPBA’s Launches Pune Center.
4) 2000 – PPBA’s Pullela Gopichand guides the Indian Badminton team to the Thomas Cup Finals for the first time in 12 years.
5) 2007 – TATA Group come on as the Lead Sponsors of the Academy.
6) 2008 – 1st Tata Open tournament held in Mumbai.
7) 2009 – PPBA’s Mumbai Centre launched.
8) 2014 – PPBA completes 20 years on 1st October 2014.
Prakash Padukone along with Vimal Kumar and other dedicated Indian and foreign coaches on contract and sports psychologists are sweating hard to put India permanently to the No.1 spot in the world of badminton sport.