Welcome to our live coverage of the Singapore Open 2013. We will be covering this tournament from the qualifying rounds on the 18th of June 2013 to the final day on the 23rd of June 2013.
Live Scorecard of the matches happening right now in the Singapore Open 2013 Badminton Tournament
(Live Scorecard: Courtesy tournamentsoftware.com)
21st June, 2013 – Quarter Finals
Saina Nehwal has crashed out of the Singapore Open 2013 with an unexpected loss to Lindaweni Fenetri of Indonesia in three sets. With this loss, all the Indian players have been defeated in the Singapore Open.
- Saina Nehwal lost to Lindaweni Fenetri of Indonesia 21-17, 13-21, 13-21. While the first set went neck and neck up to 11-all, Saina broke open the lead to maintain couple of points of lead all the time to win comfortably at 21-17. In the second set, Lindaweni pulled ahead to maintain the lead after it was 4-all at one point. She just kept building the lead and won the set comfortably 21-13. In the third set, from 3-all, Lindaweni got nine consecutive points to jump to 12-3 and from there Saina could never catch up.
20th June, 2013 – Round Two
Saina Nehwal advances to the third round. All other Indians are out of the tournament.
- Sai Praneeth lost fighting to Wei Feng Chong of Malaysia 11-21 21-17 16-21.
- Saina Nehwal defeated Erico Hirose of Japan in three sets 16-21 21-16 21-9.
- Pranaav Jerry Chopra and Akshay Dewalkar lost to sixth seeded Baek Choel Shin and Yeon Seong Yoo of Korea 14-21 19-21.
- Arun Vishnu and Aparna Balan lost to Praveen Jordan and Vita Marissa of Indonesia 10-21 18-21.
19th June, 2013 – Round One
Sai Praneeth in Men’s Singles, Saina Newal in Women’s Singles and, Pranaav Jerry Chopra and Akshay Dewalkar in Men’s Doubles are the only Indians left in Singapore Open after the first round.
Sai Praneeth sends second seeded Yun Hu home in straight sets
- Unseeded qualifier Sai Praneeth has got into the habit of sending top players home in round one. In Indonesia, he sent Taufik Hidayat home. Now here in Singapore he has sent the second seeded Yun Hu of Hong Kong home by defeating him in straight sets 21-9 21-10.
- Anand Pawar lost to top seeded Pengyu Du of China 16-21, 13-21.
- Ajay Jayaram lost in three sets to fourth seeded Kenichi Tago of Japan, 19-21, 21-18, 17-21.
- Saurabh Varma lost to Wing Ki Wong of Hong Kong in straight sets 17-21, 17-21.
- Srikanth lost to sixth seeded Tien Minh Nguyen of Vietnam 21-19, 16-21, 12-21 in three sets.
- Gurusaidutt lost to Wei Feng Chong of Malaysia 21-15 18-21 9-21
- Seventh seeded Parupalli Kashyap lost to Takuma Ueda of Japan in three sets 21-18 20-22 15-21
Saina Nehwal advances to the second round
- Saina Nehwal defeated Juan Gu of Singapore 21-14 23-21 to advance to the second round.
- P.C. Thulasi lost in three sets to Lindaweni Fanteri of Indonesia 23-21, 16-21, 16-21.
- Arundhati Pantawane lost to Petya Nedelcheva of Bulgaria in straight sets 18-21 18-21
- Pranaav Jerry Chopra and Akshay Dewalkar defeated Marcus Ellis of England and Paul Van Rietvelde of Scotland 27-25 21-17 in the first round.
- Aparna Balan and Siki Reddy lost Meng Yean Lee and Yen Loo Lim 21-18, 18-21, 6-21.
- Ashwini Ponnappa and Pradnya Gadre lost to Nithya Krishinda Maheswari and Greysia Polii of Indonesia 18-21 23-21 16-21 in a hard fought three setter.
- Arun Vishnu and Aparna Balan defeated Songphon Anugritayawon and Kunchala Voravichitvhaikul of Thailand 21-17 19-21 21-12.
- Tarun Kona and Ashwini Ponnappa lost to Tontovi Ahmad and Lilyana Natsir of Indonesia 6-21 10-21.
18th June, 2013 – Qualifying Rounds
- Sai Praneeth B. qualified for the main draw. He defeated Mohammed Hafiz Hashim of Malaysia 21-13 21-15 in the first round. In the final round of qualifying Sai Praneeth over came Riichi Takeshita of Japan 21-12 22-20.
- K.Srikanth automatically qualified after many players pulled out of the main draw of Mens Singles
- H.S.Prannoy lost to Yong Zhao Ashton Chen of Singapore in the first round of qualifying in three sets 21-19 19-21 12-21.
- Arvind Bhat lost to Nan Wei of Hong Kong 21-19, 9-21, 15-21
P.C. Thulasi and Arundhati Pantawane won both her qualifying round matches to qualify for the main draw of Women’s Singles.
- P.C.Thulasi defeated Thi Trang (B) Vu of Vietnam 21-18 21-17 in the first qualifying round. In the second round, Thulasi over came Thailand’s Chochuwong Pronpawee in three sets, 18-21, 21-13, 21-8.
- Arundhati Pantawane defeated Russia’s Anna Astrakhantseva 21-5 21-10 in the first round . In the second round, she defeated Xiaoyu Liang of Singapore 21-14, 20-16.
- Manish Gupta and Gaurav Venkat lost in the first round of the qualifying match to Zheng Yi Kok and Keat Zhen Kong of 13-21 21-17 11-21.
- Jwala Gutta and Prajakta Sawant lost in the first round to Wei Han Tan and Dellis Yuliana of Singapore 20-22, 12-21.
- Arun Vishnu and Aparna Balan got automatic qualification into the main draw due to pull out of players in the main draw.
- Prajakta Sawant paired with Malaysian Mohammed Razif Abdul Latif and lost in the first round to Zhao Jiang Terry Yeo and Lei Yao of Singapore 16-21 20-22.
We have quite a few Indian players participating in this tournament.
The players who are already in the main draw are:
Mens Singles – Main Draw
- Anand Pawar: Anand plays top seed Pengyu Du of China in the first round.
- Ajay Jayaram: Ajay plays fourth seeded Kenichi Tago of Japan in the first round.
- Parupalli Kashyap: Kashyap is seeded seventh in this tournament. He faces Takuma Ueda of Japan in the first round.
- Saurabh Varma: Saurabh plays unseeded Wing Ki Wong of Hong Kong in round one.
- R.M.V.Gurusaidutt: Gurusaidutt plays Malaysia’s Wai Feng Chong in round one.
Womens Singles – Main Draw
- Saina Nehwal: Saina Nehwal is seeded second in this tournament and plays local Singaporean Juan Gu in the first round.
- P.V.Sindhu: Sindhu has pulled out of the Singapore Open 2013.
Mens Doubles – Main Draw
- Pranaav Jerry Chopra and Akshay Dewalkar: Pranaav and Akshay play Ricky Karanda Suwardi and Muhammad Ulinnuha from Indonesia in the first round.
- Tarun Kona and Arun Vishnu: Tarun Kona and Arun Vishnu play Ji Wook Kang and Sang Joon Lee of Korea in the first round.
Womens Doubles – Main Draw
- Aparna Balan and Siki Reddy N: Aparna and Siki meet Meng Yean Lee and Yin Loo Lim of Malaysia in the first round.
- Ashwini Ponnappa and Pradnya Gadre: Ashwini and Pradnya meet Nitya Krishinda Maheswari and Greysia Polii of Indonesia in round one.
Mixed Doubles – Main Draw
- Tarun Kona and Ashwini: Tarun and Ashwini meet third seeded Tontowi Ahmad and Liliyana Natsir of Indonesia in round one.
There are quite a few Indians playing the qualifying rounds on the 18th to enter into the main draw.
Mens Singles – Qualifying Rounds
There are two qualifying rounds to be won by any player to enter the main draw.
- H.S.Prannoy: Prannoy plays top seeded qualifier Wille Lang of Finland in round one.
- Sai Praneeth B: Sai Praneeth plays fourth seeded qualifier Kento Momota of Japan in round one.
- Arvind Bhat: Arvind Bhat plays third seeded qualifier Scott Evans of Ireland in round one. Scott Evans has decided not to play in this event, so Arvind Bhat goes to the second round of the qualification directly. If Arvind wins the second round of the qualification, he enters the main draw
- K.Srikanth: Thailand Open winner K.Srikanth is seeded second here and will play Henry Hurskainen of Sweden in the first round of the qualifying rounds.
Womens Singles – Qualifying Rounds
There are two qualifying rounds to be won by any player to enter the main draw.
- Thulasi P C: Thulasi plays top seeded qualifier Kaori Imabeppu of Japan in round one.
- Arundhati Pantawane: Arundhati plays Anna Astrakhantseva of Russia in the first round.
Mens Doubles – Qualifying Rounds
- Manish Gupta and Gaurav Venkat: Manish and Gaurav play Zeng Yi Kok and Keat Zhen Kong of Malaysia in the first round of the qualifying matches.
Womens Doubles – Qualifying Rounds
- Jwala Gutta and Prajakta Sawant: Jwala and Prajakta play Wei Han Tan and Dellis Yuliana of Singapore. If they win this match, they qualify directly to the main draw.
Mixed Doubles – Qualifying Rounds
- Arun Vishnu and Aparna Balan: Arun and Aparna are the top seeds in the qualifying section and they face Patiphat Chalardchaleam and Jongkonphan Kittiharakul of Thailand in the first round.
Good luck to all the Indian players in this tournament.